WHO WE ARE
SJ started GirlsGetOutThereNZ as a 'closed' Facebook group in early 2014 to share her love for paddle boarding and all sports involving water & the outdoors, with other like minded girls. Her goal was and is to inspire other girls wanting to get off the couch and lead a healthier active lifestyle and have fun along the way.
In Aug 2014 SJ went to Sydney and qualified as a ASI Level 1 & 2 Stand Up Paddle board Instructor with Water Rescue & First Aid Certificates under her belt she had the qualifications and eagerness to now teach girls how to Stand Up Paddle Board. Starting with lessons every Sunday and with small groups of four even in the depths of winter, girls were feeling the stoke and confidence that Stand up Paddle Boarding brings.
Keen to encourage and reach more girls she set up the business page and company officially as ‘GirlsGetOutThere NZ Ltd’ in October 2014. In 2015 SJ then went on to become PaddleFit Certified by the coach of the USA Paddle Team and founder of PaddleFit ‘Brody Welte’ and is an active member of the worldwide family of PaddleFit Coaches. Level 1 & 2 qualified SJ has the skills and experience to coach girls in the following Sessions:
- PaddleFit Basic Introduction to SUP
- PaddleFit SUP Fitness & boot camp courses (Big SUP Day Out)
- PadldeFit Tech 1
In 2016 GGOTNZ became an accredited Surfing New Zeland SUP School. SJ is also a certified Suring NZ SUP Instructor and community life guard.
Looking ahead to 2017 there will be the following new sessions for Girls to experience:
- Big SUP Day Out (for newbies to intermediate paddlers)
- Waka Ama Expereince - led by national and international competitor 'Felipe Sontas'
- SUP Yoga by Julie O'megar of Peninsula SUP Yoga
- FULL MOON "Glow Girls" Night Paddles using the latest in technology LED lights you will glow while paddling under the moon and stars. No experience required.
In 2017 GGOTNZ has also introduced the brand new 'HOBIE MIRAGE ECLIPSE'. Grab your mates and hire a hobie or join a group Hobie fitness class - bringing your gym workout onto the water. It's as easy as 'stepping on and walking' on the stable Hobie boards and so easy even your grand mother could do it!